Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Trapped in the closet

Sorry R. Kelly fans, but this is not a 30-minute saga about a love dodecahedron. Rather, it's a 300-word saga about one guy's venture to New York city in search of a job in the magazine world. R and I do have one thing in common, however -- we're both trapped in the closet.

No, I don't mean "closet." I mean, literally, I'm living in a closet. A little larger and cleaner than the one pictured, sure, but a closet nonetheless.

As anybody in New York can tell you, getting here is never easy. It's an expensive city with a cutthroat housing market, and you're being asked to move here with no job, no place to live, and very little cash.

But what gets lost in the horror stories of working three jobs and living out of a suitcase is the sweeter side of the Big Apple. I'm willing to bet that just about everybody who makes it in this industry has somebody to thank for it. A friend who let them crash, an editor who took a chance on them, a family member who lent them money.

Considering this marks the beginning of my time as Ed's Guy on the Hunt, why not get off on a positive note, seeing as 3 weeks in a closet will probably bring out the cynicism in me down the line. I encourage all those who've "made it" in the city to comment and share a story of compassion, encouragement, or flat-out ridiculous conditions surrounding their first experience with New York. Not only will that offer an opportunity for a public display of gratitude, but it will help give hope to all those dreaming of one day living in a closet of their very own, er, I mean, working in magazines.

Let me begin by saying "thanks" to Andrea, Brittany, and Joanna who are letting me crash their closet, and the litany of other friends keeping their ear to the ground for me. Thanks everyone.

[Next in the line of R. Kelly-inspired blog posts: "Bump N' Grind out that cover letter" and "I Believe I Can Fly to New York City"]

5 comments:

paige worthy said...

FABULOUS. This is a great start. I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt but hope you stick around to write more funny posts!

Steph Auteri said...

I agree with paige. I'll already love your voice, and I can't wait to see what happens in your quest for the ever-elusive dream-mag-job. Lots of luck!

Unknown said...

Welcome back to the city, Brian :) I remember trying to find an apartment. Two months of hell: brokers, endless appointments, "1 bedrooms" that were really just studios with a curtain at an additional $500 per month. Bah. Love the first post. Good luck, and look forward to more!

katy ryan said...

Welcome to the jungle!! I'm in Kansas City, and look forward to living vicariously through your New York adventures. Best of luck!

SRF said...

Apartment drama in NYC is a fact of life, unfortunately. I looked at a ton of apartments in the spring, only to wind up paying a fee to stay in my same neighborhood in a place that's falling apart. But I hope your time in the closet will be short-lived. A lot of women really do read this blog!