Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Come for the free coffee. Stay for the speakers

The words "conference," "seminar," or "workshop" tend to strike fear in the heart of any working man or woman. And to students, they generally spell a free day at home playing X-box. Unless they're required, in which case, well, at least you get to hone your art skills doodling all over the pamphlet they handed you at the door.

But as Ed's faithful servant of service to all those "on the hunt," I am here to say something potentially lame. Conferences can be cool. Yes, go ahead, dock me 15 "hipoints," but I'll stick by my word: Conferences can (legitimately) be great experiences. Especially when you are just getting started.

During my senior year, I had the pleasure of attending the Nieman Conference on Narrative Journalism in Boston. Now, current students take note. I'll repeat, this time in color, current students take note!! I met with the dean of my journalism school and was able to get the school to finance my trip out east provided I came back and shared what I learned via some seminar or workshop of my own. Also, most conferences like this have either a scholarship program (such is the case for Nieman) or they are free to current students (at least reduced fees). What I'm trying to say is: Students, you can attend these bad boys totally free of charge. And believe me, as soon as you graduate, you won't see that opportunity again for a long time.

The key to picking the right conference is: 1. Knowing your own interest, and 2. Doing your research first. I mention the first because you want to make sure that the majority of the schedule will appeal to the specific direction you wish to pursue in journalism. Obviously, any magazine workshop will be good, or, if you are like me and have a passion for feature writing, something like the narrative journalism conference will also tickle your fancy. As for No. 2, it's important to read up on who will be speaking, what kind of topics they will be covering, and if those topics are unfamiliar, yet intriguing to you. Try to look into professional-level conferences and workshops as opposed to college-level ones because, after all, that's what you're looking to become.

If both of those apply, there is no such thing as moving too soon. Draft up a little pitch to your adviser or dean, do your research, put on your fancy pants, and convince them that your school desperately needs you in attendance for this event.

And lastly, being the habitual giver that I am, I'll hook you all up with a little 411 on just such a gathering taking place in New York this March. The Magazine Career Insight Conference is being put on by the Magazine Publishers of America and for anybody wanting to work in New York's magazine industry it certainly fits all the qualifications I mentioned above. So check it out, and who knows? Maybe I'll see you there.... Not that you'll know who I am... Or what I look like... Or what my name is...

POOF!! Puff of smoke and Ed's Guy disappears to the sound of distant maniacal laughter...

No comments: