Tuesday, February 5, 2008

One of the few topics I feel confident talking about... Me!


A quick anecdote before we begin -- So yours truly tried to catch the big Giants rally/parade today (pictured), seeing as he had nothing better to do. After being forced this way and corralled that way by some of New York's finest, I ended up somewhere along Reade St. near City Hall. All the drifting and changing of direction got me there too late to catch any players passing by, but what I did see made the trip almost equally worthwhile. What started as people trying to gain a vantage point, ended up resulting in a taxi cab getting completely demolished and a black Cadilac being trampled and smashed to the point of pouring smoke out from under the hood. A legion of roughly 25 mounted police officers had to gallop their way through the crowd before order was restored. If only the Ed guy could have managed to get tear gassed in his second week in the city... Mom would've been so proud.

Anyway, moving on to something that actually pertains to magazines -- you know, the whole reason I've been asked to do write this. I wanted to address a recent comment posted on a story from last week. It read...

Hey ED Guy,
Love your writing style! How about sharing some information about where you're from, what type of magazine (or which ones) you are looking to get into and what kind of experience have you had so far (internships, jobs etc)? A resume post of sorts....


Now this is a question I can handle! (Note: Beginning questions with compliments = sure-fire way to get them answered) Well, "beautytalk," I am 22, having just graduated in September, and I spent the past few months back home in the norther suburbs of Chicago, or rather Chi-kaaahhh-go, as we sound to all you easterners. At home I was working for a shoe store -- mostly traveling on the road and fitting up cheerleaders (yes, tough job, but somebody had to do it) -- to save up pennies for the big move to New York.

I went to school at a large, midwestern University that shall remain nameless (let's just it was waaayyy better than Purdue or Illinois and the mascot sounded a lot like "boozer"). There, I did a lot of sports writing/editing up until senior year when I helped launch a magazine. The timing worked out well, there, seeing as I interned through ASME that summer right before senior year.

As for what I'm looking for, well, my dream magazine is a magazine that's hiring right now. In other words, I know better than to hold much hope in landing a gig at one of my favorite publications (though Ed's last lady proved anything is possible). But not to sidestep the question, I enjoy most sports and men's magazines (Esquire, SI, GQ, etc.) as well as music mags, so those are obviously atop my list. A couple under-the-radar mags I really love, as well, are Vice and the New York Times' sports magazine Play.

So there you have it. Me in a nutshell. Until next time...

No comments: