Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pulled pork with Onions

Sorry I missed everybody yesterday, but I was downtown having lunch with a writer from everybody's favorite source for satire, as well as having drinks with an alumn from my school.

There are two lessons that came out of my day, though. The first is that you never know where a great contact will come from. I actually got in touch with this guy because my boss from the shoe store back home was friends with this writer's family way back in the day (sidenote: my mom really hopes I can get a job there eventually so she can talk about how I was a "shoe in" -- hardy har, mom).

Anyway, the second important lesson is: never order a pulled pork sandwich -- or a pulled anything, for that matter -- when you're meeting somebody important. Stick to clean, easily-forkable foods. Trust me.

So yeah, how's that for some stunning reconnaissance work by the Ed guy? He goes to the city to meet with two members of media and comes back with the advice of not creating a small shrine of dirty napkins at a lunch meeting. That's why they pay me the big bucks. Or rather, why I'm making nothing at all.

There you have it folks -- another day, another fairly obvious piece of advice. Tune in next time when I share lessons on being timely and the merits of showering. Seriously though, I have garnered myself some freelance fact checking and internship leads so I will talk a bit about those in future postings. Oh, and also, Thank You cards. Very clutch. More on that to come, as well.

Until then... here's some more random junk to help you reach Friday faster.

* Video from the mayhem I described in the last post. Listen close in the first few seconds for my favorite line, "Break that shit!" Puts new meaning to Michael Strahan's catch phrase "We stomp you out!"
* Who doesn't love token multi-legged animal stories? Favorite line here: "... and won't even require physical therapy." Who the F gets their pet physical therapy? Better yet, who has the title of Kitty Physical Therapist?
* Lastly, magazine covers through the eyes of The Onion.

1 comment:

Steph Auteri said...

Ah yes, the old who-knows-who-knows-who trick. I actually got my first job out of college through a lady in my nj exercise class, who happened to be married to the president of an environmental engineering firm that was looking for an editor (a glorified word processor, actually, but doesn't the title sound nice?).

All my other awesome jobs have come via internships. I'm a huge proponent of the post-college internship. I'm glad you're considering them as well.

Good luck out there!