Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Fun -- Comments Please!

Man, you know what's a sad sight on this blog? Well, yes, that puppy from my Feb. 13 post. But I was referring more to the sorry state of my comment counts. I mean, scroll down this page and it's damn near binary code: 0-1-1-2-2-1-1...

And one of those comments was calling me out on an error. Sheesh.

But that ends right here. I'm opening things up in move that could either prove to be a confidence booster or a devastating dose of the reality that I don't actually reach millions (rw) thousands (rw) hundreds (rw) more than a few people outside my family (there you go).

So, what I want to know from all of YOU, my readers and fellow magazine hopefuls/employees: What's the best/coolest/most useful thing you've scored from work? (Those of you foreign to the wonderful world of product reviews, magazines get bombarded with free stuff ranging anywhere from Nerf guns to guacamole)

Obviously I haven't been working in magazines too long, but during my internship in New York I was able to leave with a superfly pair camouflage boots and, my personal favorite, turkey callers! Yes, as in little scratching pads that make turkey sounds. I actually got more use from those than the boots, as my roommates and I used to sit on our roof and turkey call all the people below that were walking back from the bars. (Indiana isn't called a party school for nothing!)

So lets have it people. Light up the boards, jam the servers, and let's break this streak of poorly commented posts. The ball is in your court now....

16 comments:

Chris said...

As a fellow lonely blogger...

Jagermeister foam frisbee

Steph Auteri said...

My favorite freebies have always been the books, but that's because i'm a book-nerd, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for here.

I also wants carried home an old, rolling desk chair from NY to NJ piece by piece. I got the weirdest looks on the day I walked across town with the wheel base.

But that's also probably not quite what you meant.

Back when I wrote more adult content, I used to take home a lot of toys. I got a free rabbit vibe, as popularized on Sex and the City — the cadillac of vibes — but my favorite take-home toy was always the water dancer.

Oh, and the "sizzling body candy" that was actually pop rocks with a sexy name.

BeautyTalk said...

Beauty products :)

Ridic! said...

Legwarmers!

Unknown said...

There aren't that many freebies flowing around in the European freelance world, but I have gotten a few books, t-shirts and key chains. That's about as exciting as it gets.

Rachel said...

My Super Sweet 16 the Movie AND the 1st and 2nd seasons of the show. It doesn't get much better than sleazy MTV series.
Also, binary is comprised of just 1s and 0s.
Hope all is well, your alma mater misses you.

b said...

water bottles and color copies! The beauty products are collecting dust under my sink and I have yet to crack open the books. Free stuff seems to be that way.

Ed's Guy said...

Wow, seems like "stephanerd" is the definite front runner as of right now (though legwarmers are pretty sweet)... And Ms. Skybetter, don't question my binary skills. If you notice, I said "damn-near binary" and last I checked, 2 was about as close to 1 as you can get ;)

Joanna said...

we broke the Nerf gun... :( But my vote goes to scratch 'n' sniff t-shirts

KGrant said...

I get all sorts of stuff through my job. Among the recent goodies: three bottles of Sambuca, a bottle of single malt, a bag of pens, a messenger bag, disk defragmenter software, tea, two personal finance books and an organic cotton T-shirt.

Brittany said...

Well, we newspaper folk don't usually get to keep things they send, (because of some silly little thing they refer to as "ethics," sheesh) but I did get a bottle of wine from our copy chief for Christmas!

Yeah, stephanerd, where did you work, and do you know if they're hiring? :)

MySoCalledTwenties said...

The "Make Your Own Soda" Machine. It was basically a bottle of flavoring (Lemon-Lime!) and some water that you stuck in this machine and add the bubbles.

It took 30 minutes to make. I should have just gone across the street to get a Diet Coke.

Leah said...

Three months in a wine of the month club.

The gift that keeps on giving ...

Bean said...

I'm in the magazine world and used to open all the packages for people who dont work here anymore soooo...

I have gotten Tide Lilac laundry detergent (doesnt sound cool but that stuff is expensive).

A really nice pan, potholders, lots of vitamins, calendars , tons of books, bottles of alcohol.

I have also gotten a pair of leather boots, heels, lots of shirts.

Yeah free stuff is really cooll.

Unknown said...

Ed Guy,

Any word on when the Ed site will be up and running again? I admit that I check it excessively and this down time has been a bit worrisome. I thought perhaps you might have info about it, being the Ed blogger and all.

Thanks a bunch!

Unknown said...

I once got a bottle of Dom Perignon, but them someone stole it out of my cube. Sigh. But I did get a coffee table!

Also, I love that you used the turkey callers to taunt drunk people walking home from Nick's...ha!